Biotech Day 2019
The Biotech Day is a forum organized by the “Nouvelle Generation des Biotechnologistes”, in collaboration with ESBS. The goal of this forum is to gather companies coming from all over France and the neighboring countries. It allows the students to seek internships and to build a professional network. The companies are given an opportunity to make themselves known and the visitors can discover new lines of work in their business sector.
This year, the Biotech Day took place on September 19th 2019.
Numerous companies, Start-ups and associations participated to the forum. Without them, the Biotech Day would not have happened.
- Transgene: a biotech company developing innovative immunotherapies. Their goal is to integrate genetic sequences (or transgenes) into viral vectors to transform them into weapons that can kill abnormal cells.
- NEB: this company produces enzymatic compounds for genomic research products related to PCR, gene expression, sample preparation for next generation sequencing, synthetic biology, glycobiology, epigenetics and RNA analysis
- Merck: This pharmaceutical company provides high quality product in Healthcare, Life Science and Performance Materials.
- Novartis: This Company focuses on pharmacology and oncology. Their goal is to reimagine medicine to improve and extend people’s lives
- Oteci: Senior Experts for Growth and Jobs who coach, support and assist in the development of companies, Start-ups, Associations and Welfare Trusts as well as University Faculties and Colleges
- Octapharma: One of the largest human protein product manufacturers. They develop and produce medicines based on human proteins from human cell lines and human plasma, sourced from their own plasma donation centers and other external sources.
- Biosynex: This company produces RTDs (rapid diagnostic test). These allow self-monitoring for multiple applications, such as: HIV, pregnancy diagnosis, ovulation period, male fertility, urinary tract infections, vaginal infections, etc. RDTs may be used by health professionals (analytical laboratories, doctors) for diagnostic orientation.
- Axem: This company provide RFID products (Automatic Identification and Data Capture).
- CellProthera: The goal of this company is to develop and commercialize therapeutic solutions allowing the regeneration of damaged organs using blood stem cells.
- Aubenard: Industrial property consulting firm. They specialize in Patents, trademarks, industrial property contracts, financial valuation and due diligence.
- YEBN: The Young European Biotech Network promotes Biotechnology and Life science in Europe. The purpose of this association is to exchange information and to build up international collaboration within the young European Life science community.
- IGEM: The International Genetically Engineered Machine (iGEM) Foundation is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to education and competition, the advancement of synthetic biology, and the development of an open community and collaboration.
The forum provided workshops, conferences and an exposition hall which allowed the companies to directly present their activities and to exchange with the students and others visitors.
At the end of the day, the NGB asked the students to fill in a survey related to their experience of the Biotech Day. Overall, the Biotech Day was really appreciated by the students and especially the 1A as it allowed them to learn more about the world of Biotech companies and their requirement. The stands in the hall were well used to directly approach companies and seek internship opportunities.
The students also acclaimed the organization team of the NGB. The only reported problems concerned the schedule and an overall lack of time to exchange with the speakers and researchers.
The students want the NGB to organize a Biotech Day next year with different companies coming from not only the pharmaceutical